Polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) is an aromatic, crystalline, opaque, high-temperature polymer with a simple chemical structure containing benzene and sulfur.
PPS can be identified due to an uncommon mix of characteristics. These characteristics include outstanding electrical insulating qualities and dimensional stability.
It has self-extinguishing qualities without the need for any chemical flame retardants.
PPS is made by combining several reactions, including dehydration, sodium chloride removal, exothermic reactions, and high-temperature pressurization.
It is known to be one of the most chemically resistant high-performance polymers to every solvent known to man.
PPS is the perfect material to use when creating complex components with highly precise tolerances. The polymer will display good dimensional stability even under high temperature and high humidity circumstances.
Our PPS compounds can be modified with fillers and pigments to provide application-specific solutions.
Its easy blend-ability can lead to a vast range of compounds. Some of the fillers are:
- Decreases deformation under load
- Increases wear resistance
- Increases permeability and extremely abrades couterface
- Increase wear resistance
- Decrease high temperature creep
- Increases property retention beyond 150°C
- Reinforces and improves mechanical properties
- Lighter in weight when compared against glass fibre
- Decrease Coefficient of Friction
- Increase Wear Resistance
- Increase PV limit
- Boost tribological behaviors
PPS compounds are available for a variety of processing methods including:
Composites Moulding Techniques:
Automatic Tape Lay-Up / Automatic Fibre Placement
Processing PPS is possible at temperatures between 300 and 350°C. The high melting point of PPS might occasionally make processing difficult.
Unique Properties and Characteristics
- Operates through a wide range of temperatures -50°C to 220°C (-58°F to 428°F)
- Maintains strength and high rigidity over wide temperature ranges.
- Excellent dimensional stability
- Low coefficient of friction
- Good chemical resistance
- Melt processability
- High creep resistance
- Inherently UL V-0 (self-extinguishing)
- Excellent electrical properties
- Light weight, cost-effective and completely recyclable
- Low moisture absorption
Limitations of PPS:
- Outgassing at high temperature
- Brittleness and low ductility
- Low glass transition temperature
Area of Application
Suitable for an extensive variety of applications in industries including: